Wednesday, January 27, 2010

One Year Book of Hope Week 2 Day 2 & Day 3

I didn't post yesterday, oops! In my defense, it was my birthday and DH was a love and let me sleep most of it. I'm still fighting off a cold. :)

OYBHW2D2

This reading was on death and the hope we have in Christ. It pains God when we hurt. He feels our hurts as much as we do. But as it has been stated before, we should not grieve without hope. When my father passed away this summer, I began the grieving process again, but this time, it's been different. A few weeks ago, I was trying to express how it was dissimilar from other deaths I've grieved over. At first, I couldn't put my finger on what made it different. Somehow, it seemed a healthier grief than others I had experienced. My sadness lingered, but underneath there was a profound gratitude that I had been allowed to be a part of such a wonderful man's life. Then it hit me, I had assurance that my father was in heaven. I knew for a fact, being there when he had accepted Christ, that my father was now with the Lord and was suffering no longer. What an amazing thing! I still miss my father, but I'm so happy for him that he gets to experience eternal life with Christ.

The Bible reading today was from John 11:1-44. When He learned of Lazarus' illness, Jesus said, "Lazarus's sickness will not end in death. No, it happened for the glory of God so that the Son of God will receive glory from this." 11:4 He waited two days and then said, "Let's go back to Judea." 11:7 The disciples objected, but Jesus said, "There are twelve hours of daylight every day. During the day people can walk safely. They can see because they have the light of this world. But at night there is danger of stumbling because they have no light. Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but now I will go and wake him up." 11:9-11 The disciples thought that Lazarus was actually asleep, so Jesus told them, "Lazarus is dead. And for your sakes, I'm glad I wasn't there, for now you will really believe. Come, let's go see him." 11:14 Jesus went to Bethany and was told that Lazarus had been in his grave for four days. Martha said that Lazarus wouldn't have died if Jesus had been there, and Jesus responded, "Your brother will rise again." 11:23 Martha responded that Lazarus would rise with everyone on the last day, and Jesus said, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this Martha?" 11:25-26 Martha said that she did believe that Jesus was the Messiah and called for her sister, Mary. Mary came from their house, followed by the mourners. Mary also told Jesus that Lazarus would not have died if he had been there. Jesus was angered and troubled, and asked, "Where have you put him?" 11:34 Jesus went to Lazarus' grave and wept. He was still angry when he said, "Roll the stone aside." 11:39 Martha was alarmed and thought that the smell would be awful. Jesus said to her, "Didn't I tell you that you would see God's glory if you believe?" 11:40 So the stone was removed and Jesus looked up to heaven and said, "Father, thank you for hearing me. You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me." Then Jesus shouted, "Lazarus, come out!" 11:40-43 Lazarus came out of the tomb with the graveclothes still on and Jesus told the people to "Unwrap him and let him go!" 11:44

OYBHW2D3

Today's reading was about feeling abandoned and lonely in grief. There have been times I have felt alone, like no one in the world truly understood my emotions, but deep inside I always knew that the Lord was with me and understood my pain.

Jesus left instructions in Matthew 26:35-46. When Christ was in the garden of Gethsemane, "he became anguished and distressed" 26:37 He told them, "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." 26:38 Jesus went a little way off by himself and prayed, "My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." 26:39 When he went back to the disciples, they had fallen asleep. He said to Peter, "Couldn't you watch with me even one hour? Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!" 26:40-41 Jesus then went off by himself again and prayed, "My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done." 26:42 When he went back to the disciples, they were sleeping again, so he went off to pray a third time and said the same things. Then he went back to the disciples and said, "Go ahead and sleep. Have your rest. But look - the time has come. The Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Up, let's be going. Look, my betrayer is here!" 26: 45-46 In this verse, Christ asked God the Father to take the cup of his suffering away, but repeatedly asked the God's will be done. He instructed the disciples, and us, to keep watch and pray so that we do not fall into temptation. We must be on guard against sin, reading God's word daily and pray fervently so that we may avoid sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment